Chia Fresca (or iskiate as it is known in Central America) is an all natural revitalizing energy drink whose effects last all day, yet only takes seconds to prepare.
How Do I Make It?
Luckily, Chia Fresca requires few ingredients and is super simple to prepare.
Yield: 2 cups
- 2 cups water or coconut water
- 1.5 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice, or to taste
- Sweetener, to taste (1/2 tbsp maple syrup is good)
1. Add the chia and water into a jar or glass and stir well. Let sit for 10 minutes to allow the chia seeds to swell up. I like to use a jar with a lid so I can shake it up really well and break up the chia clumps.
2. Add lime or lemon juice and sweetener to taste. Stir well and enjoy!
For nutritional info, click here.
It Looks Weird! Do I Have to?
Great Question! Here are a heap of reasons to make Chia seeds part of your routine:
1. Chia seeds are gluten free.
2. They are high in dietary fiber, making it great for digestion.
3. They contain 20% Omega 3 ALA, making it a super food for the brain and heart. Chia seeds have eight times more Omega 3 than salmon!
4. They boast 20% protein. The protein is a complete protein with all 8 essential amino acids.
5. They are high in antioxidants.
6. Chia seeds contain five times more calcium than milk.
7. They contain seven times more vitamin C than oranges.
8. Chia seeds contain three times more iron than spinach.
9. They contain twice the potassium content of a banana.
10. They have a positive impact balancing blood glucose levels (making it awesome for diabetics).
*Nutritionists recommend that 15g/0.53oz (one tablespoon) of Chia consumption each day. Make sure to drink plenty of water, as Chia is high in fiber.
> A Natural Energy Drink | Oh She Glows
> Reasons to Eat Chia Seeds | The Wellness Warrior